I remember growing up and watching my Grandmother roll these Pecan Cheese Date Nut Balls with her hands. I watched in awe as they seemed perfectly shaped by her wrinkled ( I thought beautiful) hands. Each Christmas she would make these treats for her family and friends. It was a labored process but you could simply taste the love she placed in these Pecan Cheese Date Balls.
Keeping with tradition, I only make these Pecan Cheese Date Balls at Christmas time. I usually solicit the help of family members because an assembly line process makes this treat easier to make. Plus, its fun when family members come together and make something. We usually reminisce of Grandmother and laugh together.
This year, I had my daughter, Ellie, help me make the Pecan Cheese Date Balls. While helping me, I told her the story of how my Grandmother would make these for me at Christmas. We were making this batch for my parents and Ellie was happy she could make these treats for her Grandparents.
As I mentioned earlier extra hands are needed when preparing this treat. First, you’ll need to complete the following steps.
- Cut and Stuff the dates – I find if I use a knife to cut a small slit on one side, stuffing the pecan is easier. Ellie helped me stuff the dates while I cut them.
2. Next, make the dough. I used my Kitchen Aid mixer and attached my edge beater to make the dough. After making the dough, you may need to add more butter to cut it or more flour. I usually place all the dough on a piece of wax paper and shape it into a large ball. I then pinch of dough to shape around the date.
- Lastly, bake at 325 for 12-15 minutes. It makes a great gift in a mason jar!
- - Cheese Dough -
- 2 sticks of salted butter (room temp.)
- 3 cups of flour
- 2 dashes of paprika
- 1 1/2 cups of shredded sharp cheese
- - Date Stuffing -
- 2 cups of Medjool Dates
- 1 cup of Whole Pecans
- First, cut the middle of the date to easily add a whole or 1/2 of a pecan
- Next, make the dough by first blending the butter, cheese and paprika. Next slowly add the flour.
- Lastly, take the cheese dough and shape it around the date
- Bake at 325 for 12 -15 minutes